Re: I would like to propose that we turn on XFS Reflink in Fedora 29 by default

On 4/29/18 6:23 AM, Peter Robinson wrote:

>>> So, for context, I am the upstream maintainer of xfsprogs as well as for
>>> Fedora xfsprogs.
>>>
>>> Historically, new features in XFS have gone from "Experimental" (i.e.
>>> under
>>> development), then dropped Experimental (development is ~done) but still
>>> optional,
>>> and eventually default.  We do this very conservatively, to give bugs a
>>> chance
>>> to shake out, which is one of the reasons XFS has a good reputation for
>>> /not/
>>> eating your data.
>>>
>>> Reflink on XFS only recently dropped "Experimental" and is not yet default
>>> upstream;
>>> it won't be default upstream for some time to come - think on the order of
>>> months.
>>>
>>> However, we do want to give reflink more exposure, and so jumping the gun
>>> a bit and
>>> turning it on for rawhide / Fedora 29 is probably a good idea.
>>>
>>> I'm mostly ok with patching it on by default in mkfs.xfs; it does confuse
>>> things a bit
>>> when "our" version behaves fundamentally differently from upstream, but
>>> it's probably
>>> the right thing to do here.  I'll make sure that none of the other xfs
>>> developers have
>>> strong objections, and if not, I'll patch it in for fedora 29.
>>>
>>> Unless this should be a full blown Feature?  If so, I'm ok with following
>>> that path
>>> as well.
>>

>> XFS is the default filesystem on Fedora Server Edition, so yes: I think we
>> should really have a System-Wide Change Proposal submitted for this,
>> primarily to ensure that the information is spread widely (Change Proposals
>> like this are picked up by Fedora Marketing and tech news, so it’ll be more
>> widely dispersed than just on the fedora-devel list).
>
> Assuming that the plan is to leave it enabled in F-29 on branching and
> have it ship enabled in F-29 I agree, if the intention is to leave it
> enabled in rawhide and disable it on branching then the Change
> Proposal mechanism isn't the way to ensure wider knowledge.

I'd be happy to have it left on for F29, it /might/ even be default upstream
by the time F29 ships.  I'll need to re-familiarize myself w/ the
"System-Wide Change Proposal" process, I guess.

FWIW, turning it on has very little effect until it's actually used, so it
really should not be destabilizing for most, even if bugs lurk.  ;)

-Eric