Re: Unacceptable size increase to ALL live images in F28: Noto CJK Fonts

Akira TAGOH wrote:
> of course if we can go ahead without any workaround on this, that would be
> better though.

FYI, the plan of the KDE SIG is to simply bump the target size of the image
yet again.

I do not like that approach, but I am not the one who decides (anymore – I
used to de-facto maintain the KDE Live image for a while, but no longer).

For a long-term solution: In principle, I think shipping a smaller font
(optimized for size, by composing strokes instead of copy&pasting them, see
e.g. WQY MicroHei) altogether rather than a subset of Noto would be a better
approach (because it would avoid the user confusion and would also be even
more compact), but unfortunately I don't know of any such font that is up to
date and TC/J/K-friendly (WQY MicroHei is neither of those). (As was pointed
out elsewhere in the thread, for the different SC/TC/J/K renderings, it
should be technically possible to put them LOCL-tagged into the one font.
WQY MicroHei is already a TTC font.) And I also don't think we really need
all 3 of Sans, Serif and Mono. There are other scripts where we only ship
one variant, too, and Sans is essentially monospaced for CJK anyway.

        Kevin Kofler