Re: Status of OwnCloud/NextCloud

On 04/04/2018 06:08 AM, James Hogarth wrote:
> How about emailing me and asking what you can do to help?
>
> I've really had no help on this (outside of Shawn and Remi getting
> dependencies packaged on occasion) since I took this over from AdamW
> way back.
>
> There's always lots of noise about "oh no OC isn't getting updates"
> but never any actual help, or even empty offers for help usually.

Hi James!

I hope my post didn't sound like complaining to you - that wasn't my
intent. My goal was to call attention to the problems in F28 (and F27
has issues to a lesser but still important extent) and to ask if anyone
in the Fedora community can help. I really didn't intend to point
fingers or place blame - I mean, you can certainly find lots of open
tickets assigned to me that I haven't gotten to either.

I also wanted to call attention to it before F28 stabilizes, because the
current issues are pretty severe and I wanted to make sure Fedora takes
some action before our users are affected (even if the action is to
remove it from Fedora).

My knowledge about PHP is pretty limited, and like you I also have a
pretty full schedule and two large applications that I maintain, so I
personally can't commit to help with this due to the combination of
those two factors.

> Honestly I'm tempted to just orphan both owncloud and nextcloud as
> it's painful to maintain and it's a truly thankless task.

I think this would be OK if you want to do that route, but it does sound
like there are some volunteers who would be willing to get involved.

I really appreciate the work you did to get us this far, so thank you
for your contributions, and also congratulations on the new addition to
your family ☺