Re: Status of OwnCloud/NextCloud

On 4 April 2018 at 08:38, Benson Muite <benson_muite@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> So, I don't think we can update the package from 10 to 13, thus breaking
>> all user installations.
>>
>> I see 2 possible way
>>
>> The classical one
>>
>> - create nextcloud11, nextcloud12 and nextcloud13 packages and also
>> future versions, older can be removed when EOLed by upstream (so
>> nextcloud + nextcloud10 removed in F29)
>>
>> The new one (F28+)
>>
>> - create a nextcloud module with 1 stream per version, following
>> upstream life cycle
>>

>> Remi
>

> First one seems a little easier, but modules look very promising. Any
> experience testing this? If no next cloud apps are installed, mostly a
> matter of changing location of data folder.  If some Nextcloud apps are
> installed, this is more difficult since apps do not always get updated.

*COUGH*

How about emailing me and asking what you can do to help?

I've really had no help on this (outside of Shawn and Remi getting
dependencies packaged on occasion) since I took this over from AdamW
way back.

There's always lots of noise about "oh no OC isn't getting updates"
but never any actual help, or even empty offers for help usually.

Honestly I'm tempted to just orphan both owncloud and nextcloud as
it's painful to maintain and it's a truly thankless task.

Last time this came up I wrote this on the magazine ... for those who
actually have genuine intent to help it's worth reading again:
https://fedoramagazine.org/day-life-fedora-packager/

I have no problem with doing major updates in a release, but we do
have to manage them carefully to avoid breakage.

As for why it's fallen behind in recent times .... life has a tendency
to get in the way. Remember well that most of us (especially me) is
not paid for this and try to do our best amongst other things.

I had a new daughter born in January, I also have a daughter who
recently turned 2.

I am a DevOps contractor and work has to come first to pay the bills.

My day usually starts at around 6am when I get up, get ready for work,
check on the girls and have my ~1.5 hour commute to my office.

I usually get in around 08:30 and work till around 17:00 or so.

My commute back is also around 1.5 hours.

During the commutes I try and catch up on the news and mailing lists.

When I get home it's a short time to dinner, a short playtime with my
eldest and then putting her to bed. That will normally take me to
about 20:00 or thereabouts.

Then there's general chores and suddenly it's pushing 22:00 with a
06:00 alarm waiting again ...

That is my weekday on a day to day basis ...

My ability to do anything Fedora related during working hours will
vary with the contract I have at the time ... my last contract was a
clearance-required environment that prevented any such activity.

My present contract gives me a little more freedom, and this is now at
the top of my "spare seconds" radar ... indeed I started testing
yesterday (without seeing this thread yet).

FIrst thing when I fired up my test harness was that F28 has changed,
and thus broken, kickstart for the user option compared to a standard
minimal that worked going back to F22 and EL7 so that had to be
debugged and fixed ... done

Next things is the ansible that I use to test ... well the lovely
folks jumping the gun on dropping python2-* packages is making life
painful since ansible still uses python2 by default and not everything
support python3 yet. There is no python2-firewall anymore for the
ansible firewalld module ... yay another silly thing to work around!

If there is genuine intent to actually help and not just whine then
please do contact me directly - I'm frequently on IRC during the
working day (UK time) now as well.

My plan is to get the next major versions of both owncloud and
nextcloud that are safe to upgrade to built and pushed as soon as I
can ... I will bundle libraries if there are versioning issues getting
this sorted.

This will also involve a change from mod_php to php-fpm for httpd
users, nginx of course already has php-fpm.

When those have been out a few weeks in stable then I'll do the same
with the next major release and so on until we are caught up.

At that point I'll look to removing any bundling if some was required.

If this looks like too long a path for you feel free to stop using the
packages and just use upstream.

Again, if you are genuine about wanting to help please contact me directly.

If you want to just whine ... well frankly I'm not going to pay any
attention to that and we'll get there when we do.

If you want to pay me to maintain these so I can make up lost costs
when I'm not working that would also be a plan ;)