Re: Goodbye nvr.rsplit('-', 2), hello modularity

On Mon 19 Mar 2018 09:38:58 AM GMT Fabio Valentini wrote:
> So you think having to send a request to a web service instead of just
> parsing a string locally with one line of code is a good trade-off for
> allowing dashes?

This has been mentioned several times in this thread and I think there's
a misunderstanding around this.

So: When your tool/whatever works with modules it will have to have
module metadata available in some form. In most client-side tools, I'd
guess that will be modulemd metadata in dnf repositories that will get
synced locally (just like rpm/yum repodata). Or it really might be
you'll query koji for the metadata if needed on a system without local
dnf metadata. But if you're working on top of module repositories -
metadata will be there.

RPMs *in* modules still use "N-V-R.A" strings and you can keep parsing
them. That is not changing. But the module that contains them uses
different strategy that allows maintainers more flexibility. And there
does not have to be exact match between module/stream etc name and NVRs
of rpms inside as others have mentioned.

--
Stanislav Ochotnicky <sochotnicky@xxxxxxxxxx>
Software Engineer, PnT DevOps - Brno

PGP: F434 2286 27DC 7D9B 2B64  0866 BCBD 752E 7B08 7241
Red Hat Inc.                               http://www.redhat.com