Re: Best way to handle sub-package conflicts

On 2018-03-18 11:48 AM, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> Le dimanche 18 mars 2018 à 11:22 -0400, Digimer a écrit :
>>
>> So this isn't a version conflict, as seems to be what Conflicts and
>> Obsoletes are designed to handle, if I understand properly.
>
> It is a conflict between the packages.
>
> What you can’t do is to allow the installation of one package to replace
> the others, because for rpm and dnf installations and updates have the
> same constrains (so if foo-b is allowed to replace foo-a it will do it
> for updates too)
>
> So you have too solutions:
>
> 1. make the packages conflict, to force users to choose one of them.
> Installation of each packages will be forbidden while one of the others
> is present
>
> 2. make sure the packages do not conflict, and can be parallel
> installed. Handle role conflicts at runtime, making sure whatever is
> executed in each role refuses to run if one of the others is already
> running (via lockfile for example)

Hi,

  I think "Conflict" is the way to go. However, given how much the guide
urges not to use 'Conflicts', I worry that will make it
harder/impossible later to have the package accepted into Fedora.

  Would a use-case like this be an acceptable exception, would you guess?

  As I mentioned in my reply to Micheal, I am not worried about
auto-removal. If it simply refused to install one sub-package until the
other is gone, that's fine.

--
Digimer
"I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of