Re: Use Noto Sans UI for Cantarell fallback in Workstation?

On Fri, 2018-03-16 at 23:31 +0000, Nikolaus Waxweiler wrote:
> > DejaVu had already proven at that time fontforge was more than good enough for a complex modern font.
>
> In the sense that you can write a complex application in assembler, yes. With an assembler full of quirks and bugs. I have used Fontforge, I know why I ran from it and why people have been payed to improve it and not gotten far.
>
> > That's what the ”professional” mindview gets you: dead projects with no live community
>
> DejaVu is clearly alive to prove your point. How about this: font
> design is different from software development and _not_ the forté of
> the open source community. The subpar open-source tooling to work on
> these things certainly has not helped. The Ubuntu font was maybe just
> good enough for most people.

It's kind of ironic that this flies in the face of one of the initial
justifications for Cantarell, though:

https://thegnomejournal.wordpress.com/2011/04/06/fonts-in-gnome-3-cantarell-tweaking-and-trailblazing/

Interesting quotes from that article:

"The commissioning approach to fonts involves a proprietary foundry
developing a font family in-house, and then transferring it to a
community who will maintain it with a different toolkit and
methodology. A fully libre software project approach, in contrast,
develops fonts with a FLOSS toolkit on a FLOSS desktop from the start,
and hosts and maintains them like other modules in the community’s
infrastructure. (In GNOME’s case, those comparable modules would
include git, Bugzilla, the wiki, etc.) GNOME is blazing a brand new
trail in moving from the commissioning approach towards a libre
approach.

Jakub “Jimmac” Steiner, designer extraordinaire and core LGM
contributor from the earlier days, now also committer to Dave
Crossland’s project, had already designed open fonts of his own. He
indicated in his blog that the methodology used by Dave Crossland was
more in tune with GNOME’s culture and made much more sense in the long-
term. They are many challenges ahead but these are interesting times."

"Who will be the first to take advantage of the flexibility of the
gnome-shell to write extensions specifically tuned to advanced fonts
capabilities?
    Will fonts be the focus of GSOC work as well?
    Will gnome-tweak-tool be extended to expose more font-related
capabilities for the advanced typophile or designer using GNOME? Will
some inspiration come fromfontmatrix ?
    Is a revamping of the font menu widget still planned?
    Will officially supporting a new language in GNOME include making
sure the needed glyphs and behaviors are validated in the official
GNOME UI font family?
    Will the upcoming Desktop Summit—held in Berlin, Germany, a city
renowned for the high concentration of typographers and typophiles—push
the envelope even further?

    Will other desktops using freedesktop.org open standards also
embark on the project of picking and maintaining their own dedicated
visual identity in the shape of an open font? Maybe just in the
lettering of their logo?"

"Why not pick up fontforge and the rest of the open font design
toolkit, learn its formidable feature set and start playing with your
own branch of the Cantarell sources? Contributing to making it work
perfectly in your own language? Contributing to weight variations?
Adding advanced typographic features and smart behaviors? Joining an
open font design workshop in your corner of the world? Have fun and
happy open font hacking!"

It seems like at least the *pitch* was that a large part of Cantarell's
justification was "it's going to be a great collaborative open source
project that will get lots of contributions for other scripts and
stuff, plus it's developed in a more open way than other 'open' fonts".

Did either of those really happen in practice? Is either of them likely
to in future?
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey