Re: Link error in F28 (but not Rawhide)

On Fri, 2018-03-16 at 23:25 +0000, Sérgio Basto wrote:
> On Sat, 2018-03-17 at 00:06 +0100, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> > Sérgio Basto wrote:
> > > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/Annobin
> >
> > I have read that page. There is not a single compelling reason
> > warranting
> > the global size increase across the whole distribution nor the
> > recurring
> > breakage from annobin bugs (see e.g. this thread).
> >
> > I am really fed up of the cavalier attitude towards the creepy size
> > inflation that has been plaguing us all the time. All those small or
> > not-so-
> > small size increases (MiniDebugInfo, Annobin, but also lots of small
> > local
> > size increases in all packages) add up to a huge bloat.
> >
> > The Fedora 17 KDE Spin fit on a CD. Only 10 releases (≈ 5 years)
> > later, the
> > Fedora 27 KDE Spin is more than twice the size! And the Fedora 28 KDE
> > Spin
> > is again ~30% larger than the Fedora 27 one, coming close to 3 times
> > CD
> > size! The other spins are equally hit. This creeping biggerism needs
> > stop!
>
> I think you shouldn't be so upset, it is an error in a pre-alfa/beta
> version and seems it is already fixed. Who still use cds ? , one pen
> usb do the work much better ...

The compile error is fixed, but the packages didn't magically get
smaller.

I really kinda agree with Kevin, FWIW. The images have got
*significantly* bigger across the last few releases and we're just
sorta shrugging and going 'ok, whatever'. I keep seeing pushes to spin-
kickstarts to make image sizes bigger for no particular reason except
just 'stuff bloated', that's kinda sad.

It's not really about whether things fit on a CD or not, it's about not
needlessly wasting bandwidth and storage space. If the packages are
bigger then they take up more space on our hard disks, USB sticks, on
mirrors, they take more time to transfer, and we *do* still have users
on slow and bandwidth-limited connections.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey