Re: Goodbye nvr.rsplit('-', 2), hello modularity

On Thu, Mar 15, 2018 at 11:14 AM, Patrick Uiterwijk
<puiterwijk@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> If you maintain any application in Fedora Infra (or outside) that
> tries to parse things out of RPM names, you might be interested in
> this.
>
> For those wondering where I've been spending most of my time the last
> few weeks: I've been deep in the internals of Bodhi fixing all kinds
> of issues I've found between it and Modularity (turns out enabling
> composing was just the beginning).
>
> At some point, I was informed that for modules, they are throwing all
> kinds of old assumptions out of the door.
> One of those is the good old Name-Version-Release in RPM land.
>
> Modules do not have an NVR, they have an NSVC: Name, Stream, Version, Context.
> Name is the name of the module ("nodejs").
> Stream is a stream, like "6", "7" or "8", these are crucial for the
> parallel availability that modules are trying to accomplish.
> Version is a date/time stamp, used to indicate new versions in the
> same name-stream.
> Context is a hash of some information in the built module that makes
> it so that the nodejs-6-20170314 built for Fedora 28 has a different
> identifier than the one built for Fedora 29.

Isn't that what "%{dist}" is for? Do you have a pointer to where this
is laid out?

We've seen people try to re-invent version numbering before.with other
applications, to add features for their desired workflow. Examples
includes the hashes added to python module versions at pypi.org, which
seriously broke py2pack and forced them to add an impedance matching
utility on their website so the old tools continued to work. Is this a
really desirable change?