Re: Improving the glibc32 situation

On 03/09/2018 02:21 PM, Josh Boyer wrote:

So as a stop-gap measure, I'd like to add this:

Conflicts: kernel

That's a metapackage now, which isn't actually required for installs.
Better to do it on kernel-core, however..

Noted.

to the glibc32 package, to make it very unlikely that end users can install
it and completely break there Fedora installation.  Buildroots shouldn't
have kernels, so it wouldn't affect them.

Comments?  Suggestions?

Buildroots have kernels all the time.  Various packages like
libguestfs require it because they run virt tests during RPM build.
The 4.16-rc4 kernel-core was a component of gnome-software,
libtaskotron, plasma-discover, etc.  Now, whether or not those also
needed glibc32 in the buildroot is a different question.  I'm simply
pointing out it might not be a safe assumption to assume the
kernel/kernel-core packages are never installed in the buildroot.

Hmm.  Do you think it's still worth a try?

Perhaps it would be better to put:

%ifarch x86_64
Conflicts:glibc32
%endif

in the kernel spec?

What's the improvement compared to the glibc32 change? Would we still add that to the kernel-core package?

Thanks,
Florian