Re: Improving the glibc32 situation

On Fri, Mar 9, 2018 at 8:07 AM, Florian Weimer <fweimer@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Some x86_64 packages need a 32-bit glibc during build time.  Koji does not
> provide it.
>
> Unfortunately, there is no way to permanently block glibc32 from entering
> composes.  We have repeatedly asked for it.  It simply does not happen.  If
> end users install glibc32, there system may be irrevocably broken as a
> result.
>
> A few of the current consumers are simply broken in the sense that they
> really should build for i686 and get the package thorough the compose
> process, instead of building a native x86_64 package.  Others may have a
> genuine need.
>
> I thought about removing glibc32 altogether, but this is probably difficult.
> I can look at adding a hack to Koji, but there's probably a reason why this
> hasn't been fixed in fifteen years (whether it's technical or not), so it's
> unlikely to be a good use of my time.
>
> So as a stop-gap measure, I'd like to add this:
>
> Conflicts: kernel

That's a metapackage now, which isn't actually required for installs.
Better to do it on kernel-core, however..

> to the glibc32 package, to make it very unlikely that end users can install
> it and completely break there Fedora installation.  Buildroots shouldn't
> have kernels, so it wouldn't affect them.
>
> Comments?  Suggestions?

Buildroots have kernels all the time.  Various packages like
libguestfs require it because they run virt tests during RPM build.
The 4.16-rc4 kernel-core was a component of gnome-software,
libtaskotron, plasma-discover, etc.  Now, whether or not those also
needed glibc32 in the buildroot is a different question.  I'm simply
pointing out it might not be a safe assumption to assume the
kernel/kernel-core packages are never installed in the buildroot.

Perhaps it would be better to put:

%ifarch x86_64
Conflicts:glibc32
%endif