Re: On Ye Olde Foreste of Anciente LLVM Versiones

We really need to get things working with the latest (or at least the
second-to-latest, but ideally only the latest) LLVM and not carry ancient
compatibility versions that are a symbol conflict minefield:

Yaakov Selkowitz wrote:
> On 2018-03-08 16:54, Adam Williamson wrote:
>> llvm3.9
>
> Still required by julia[1].
>
> [1] https://github.com/JuliaLang/julia#llvm

This says that "Julia can be built with newer LLVM versions". So just do it.
They consider it experimental, but it would definitely not be the first
experimental package Fedora ships.

>> llvm4.0
>
> Still required by ldc due to an issue on ppc64le[2].
>
> [2] https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/ldc/c/4130742

Building with an obsolete LLVM just because of some bug on an "alternative"
(i.e., secondary) architecture does not make any sense whatsoever. If
anything, it should be built with the old version only on ppc64le. But if
that's the only reason the old LLVM version is needed, just drop it, build
ldc against what's available, ExcludeArch: ppc64le if the bug fails the
build (do nothing if it doesn't (but only affects compiling things WITH
ldc)), and let the ppc64le arch team fix LLVM. It does not make sense to let
"alternative" architectures block progress on our primary architectures.

(And it looks like there is already a fix upstream by now, as pointed out
elsewhere in this thread.)

        Kevin Kofler