Re: Gating packages in Rawhide

Randy Barlow wrote:
> As one of the Bodhi contributors, I am inclined to suggest that we could
> use Bodhi on Rawhide, similar to how we use it for our stable/branched
> releases, with more relaxed rules (perhaps 1 day in testing or something
> simple).

IMHO, this is highly impractical. Having to file Bodhi updates for every
Rawhide build will make development cringe to a halt.

> It may be possible to automate the process a bit to make it less heavy
> for developers, though there is some complication for multi-package
> updates

Some automation would help, sure. But if we are going to do things
automatically, why bother with Bodhi at all?

We are already building into a pending tag for the autosigning, from which
the packages are moved into the final tag when they are signed. The same
process should work for autotesting. Just add it before or after the
autosigning in the pipeline, possibly with another intermediate tag.

I think that Bodhi is really the wrong tool for the job here. What you are
trying to hit with your shiny hammer may look like a nail to you, but it is
really a screw. ;-)

(That said, I am not even convinced gating Rawhide is going to be workable
to begin with. Temporary breakage is just sometimes necessary to make things
move forward. I would much rather see the compose process made more robust
so it does not fail on every small breakage.)

> Another idea that was tossed around in some chats I had with people
> about this involved a system for packagers to use to create Koji side
> tags.

This idea is interesting, and it could be also used without gating or with a
gating process not relying on Bodhi. The side tag creation, and possibly the
side tag merge request, would then be the only thing(s) done through Bodhi.

        Kevin Kofler