Re: Gating packages in Rawhide

On 03/08/2018 10:53 PM, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> IMHO, this is highly impractical. Having to file Bodhi updates for every
> Rawhide build will make development cringe to a halt.

The proposal is to automate the filing of Bodhi updates, so in most
cases you would not really interact with them unless tests fail. I
hinted at a "perhaps 1 day", but it was suggested elsewhere that we
could also not have any time restrictions and just send it to stable as
soon as automated tests pass. I don't have strong feelings about the
policy there, so if we went that direction you might not even notice
Bodhi is involved unless the tests fail (in which case you should take
action anyway).

> Some automation would help, sure. But if we are going to do things
> automatically, why bother with Bodhi at all?

As nirik said, because we have it. Bodhi's mission in life is gating[0],
and we want to gate Rawhide. We have a tool that does that now, and it's
easier to use it (even if it would need a few changes) than it is to
create another service.

> We are already building into a pending tag for the autosigning, from which
> the packages are moved into the final tag when they are signed. The same
> process should work for autotesting. Just add it before or after the
> autosigning in the pipeline, possibly with another intermediate tag.

The "it" is the thing we don't have, outside of a conveniently already
created tool.

> I think that Bodhi is really the wrong tool for the job here. What you are
> trying to hit with your shiny hammer may look like a nail to you, but it is
> really a screw. ;-)

After having been in Bodhi's JSON rendering code today, it doesn't look
so shiny to me, but thanks for the compliment.

As I said, Bodhi's mission is gating, and gating is the proposal here,
so I think it is actually a good tool to use.

[0] I more generally think of Bodhi as a community driven Koji admin.