Re: Removal of BuildRoot

On 02/15/2018 10:17 AM, Michal Novotny wrote:
I feel PRs are better for this sort of stuff. Mainly because people are informed why exactly this change is made, they can read the guidelines and then merge the change when they are sure they understand it. It helps spreading knowledge and keeping community involved. Python team did it very well in their "Fedora's Switch to Python 3 effort <https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FinalizingFedoraSwitchtoPython3>", i think.

Yeah, well, I definitely agree that's how it should be done, but... did you see the script that handles the automatic pull requests? (If not, the first half is here: https://pagure.io/python-fixrequires, and the second half -- merging -- is not yet automated.)

Pagure's API around automatically creating and administering Pull Requests is, not yet useful enough. Selenium kinda works as a workaround. But I wouldn't recommend it, unless one of your goals is to find the issues, so this can eventually become the preferred workflow. (See e.g. https://pagure.io/pagure/issue/2803)

(Disclaimer: I'm not the one actually doing the work, I just heard the complaints...)

Maybe it would be nice if proven packagers had some tooling for doing those changes.

tl;dr: It's possible, people are slowly working on it, but it's not generally usable yet.

--
Petr Viktorin