Re: Removal of BuildRoot

On 15.2.2018 10:17, Michal Novotny wrote:
I feel PRs are better for this sort of stuff. Mainly because people are informed why exactly this change is made, they can read the guidelines and then merge the change when they are sure they understand it. It helps spreading knowledge and keeping community involved. Python team did it very well in their "Fedora's Switch to Python 3 effort <https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FinalizingFedoraSwitchtoPython3>", i think.

We tried to be nice, but honestly I think it's too much effort. Some fake numbers (i.e. no actual stats, but rather how I feel it):

* ~49% goes without reply and is merged by our proven packager after the announced 14 days
 * ~48% is merged right away
* ~1% says: oh we've already done this in our upstream repo and it will propagate
 * ~1% says: please do it in our upstream repo and later it will propagate
 * ~1% says: your are destroying my life
 * ~0.00001% says: here's an actual mistake

Since I consider the upstream repo thing against the guidelines, the outcome here is that we are burning precious time of people who semi-automatically create, test, manage, watch and merge, comment etc. on the PRs as well as the time of the packagers who receive those PRs. Mass committing/pushing the change would have been much easier.

We'll definitively consider doing this in another way next time.

(An automation of merging those PR would help as well, see [1].)

[1] https://pagure.io/pagure/issue/2926

--
Miro Hrončok