Re: F28 Self Contained Change: VA-API 1.0.0

> On Fri, Feb 09, 2018 at 08:07:20AM +0000, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek wrote:
>> On Mon, Jan 29, 2018 at 11:06:05PM +0100, Jan Kurik wrote:
>> > = Proposed Self Contained Change: VA-API 1.0.0 =
>> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/VA-API_1.0.0
>> >
>> > Change owner(s):
>> > * Nicolas Chauvet <kwizart - at - fedoraproject.org>
>> >
>> > This change is about upgrading libva and others to version 2.0. This
>> > change affects several multimedia players as there are both API and
>> > ABI changes. This will allow some VA-API backends to be updated,
>> > improving support for recent hardware.
>> >
>> > == Detailed Description ==
>> >
>> > Updating to VA-API 1.0.0 will allow to fix and clean-up issues with
>> > the API as sum-up in this upstream topic VA-API 1.0.0:
>> > https://github.com/intel/libva/issues/72
>> >
>> > * fix errors in API/data structure definition, e.g. 01org#32
>> > * add new features, e.g. 01org#69,
>> I guess those are tickets in a bugtracker... Can you add hyperlinks?
>>
>> > * deprecate some useless API/data structures, e.g. libva-tpi, libva-egl.
>> > * provide other improvement, e.g. use portable type to define data structure.
>> >
>> > All packages using libva will be rebuilt to take into account the new
>> > API/ABI. Futhermore, the intel backend will be updated along (not
>> > provided by Fedora). Others VA-API backend such the AMD and NVIDIA
>> > backend provided by Fedora within mesa-dri-drivers will work as
>> > appropriate. Bridges between VA-API and VDPAU will continue to be
>> > supported , this is:
>>
>> > Upgrade/compatibility impact
>> > Users should update to the more recent version provided in repositories.
>>
>> Hmm, isn't the biggest compatibility impact that the library .so
>> version will be bumped and all users will have to be rebuilt?
>> Do we know how much software outside of the distro itself is linked
>> to those libraries?
>> I think it'd be good to make this explicit in the change page.
>>
>> Zbyszek
>
> Ping.
Sorry for the lack of answer, was editing the wiki.

Thx for rising the point of packages outside fedora.
At least I can enumerate the packages that are into a well known
repository (that are already dealt with), but I don't know if there
are other projects using it that are not packaged, or outside a well
known repository.
Do you want me to add a list of packages that will support the new libva ?

Thx

--
-

Nicolas (kwizart)