Re: F28 Self Contained Change: VA-API 1.0.0

On Mon, Jan 29, 2018 at 11:06:05PM +0100, Jan Kurik wrote:
> = Proposed Self Contained Change: VA-API 1.0.0 =
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/VA-API_1.0.0
>
> Change owner(s):
> * Nicolas Chauvet <kwizart - at - fedoraproject.org>
>
> This change is about upgrading libva and others to version 2.0. This
> change affects several multimedia players as there are both API and
> ABI changes. This will allow some VA-API backends to be updated,
> improving support for recent hardware.
>
> == Detailed Description ==
>
> Updating to VA-API 1.0.0 will allow to fix and clean-up issues with
> the API as sum-up in this upstream topic VA-API 1.0.0:
> https://github.com/intel/libva/issues/72
>
> * fix errors in API/data structure definition, e.g. 01org#32
> * add new features, e.g. 01org#69,
I guess those are tickets in a bugtracker... Can you add hyperlinks?

> * deprecate some useless API/data structures, e.g. libva-tpi, libva-egl.
> * provide other improvement, e.g. use portable type to define data structure.
>
> All packages using libva will be rebuilt to take into account the new
> API/ABI. Futhermore, the intel backend will be updated along (not
> provided by Fedora). Others VA-API backend such the AMD and NVIDIA
> backend provided by Fedora within mesa-dri-drivers will work as
> appropriate. Bridges between VA-API and VDPAU will continue to be
> supported , this is:

> Upgrade/compatibility impact
> Users should update to the more recent version provided in repositories.

Hmm, isn't the biggest compatibility impact that the library .so
version will be bumped and all users will have to be rebuilt?
Do we know how much software outside of the distro itself is linked
to those libraries?
I think it'd be good to make this explicit in the change page.

Zbyszek