Re: Removal of BuildRoot

On 15/02/18 08:52 -0500, David Cantrell wrote:
Does it actually hurt or is it just unnecessary?  Removing unnecessary
things from spec files is fine with me, but I was not seeing this as
actually breaking things at the moment.  If BuildRoot lines have been in
spec files for 10+ years and we are still building fine, is this really
urgent or is it a nice to have?

If it's not urgent does that mean it shouldn't happen? If not now,
when? Is March non-urgent change month? Is another 10 years the right time?

Personally I think right before a mass rebuild is a good time to do
such things, because we're re-verifying everything builds. Until every
package is in Koschei we have a big problem with packages bitrotting
and FTBFS going unnoticed for months.

Not trying to speak for others here, but I have seen posts where package
maintainers are annoyed by proven packager commits that touch a lot of
packages.  If we want the old timers to stop using unnecessary
boilerplate, we should loop them in to that change.  A pull request does
exactly that.  I get pull requests for spec cleanups from time to time
and I appreciate it.  The comment from the author usually explains why
and sometimes even points to the current policy.  This is great because
otherwise I am not going to go and reread the policy for packages I have
already created and currently maintain.

Somebody who maintains 10 packages might get 10 pull requests, but you
only need to loop them in once. Email does it once.

If a maintainer doesn't care why it was done, they don't even need to
read the email. "Oh, somebody removed a line from the spec, but it
still builds ... I guess they knew what they were doing."

Maybe we could also do re-reviews for packages that have existed for a
long time and make sure they comply with current packaging policies?

Do we have the resources to do that?