Re: Removal of BuildRoot

On 02/15/2018 03:08 AM, Panu Matilainen wrote:
> On 02/14/2018 11:27 PM, David Cantrell wrote:

>>> Ralf, Remi, David,
>>>
>>> Please, read policy[0] once more.

>>> directly in Git than via bugzilla and the proper maintainers. So much
>>> easier
>>> that we should leave this path open. These situations shouldn't arise
>>> that
>>> often. Some examples of situations were bypassing the proper
>>> maintained is
>>> considered fine:
>>> guidelines can be done directly in Git after being announced some days
>>> in advance.
>>>
>>> I just missed waiting for few days (kinda intentionally), because it
>>> would not
>>> help anyone and will just disturb maintainers to do the actual work
>>> whereas it
>>> doesn't make any sense because cleanup is automated.
>>>

>>> [0]
>>> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Who_is_allowed_to_modify_which_packages#Mino
>>>
>>> r.2C_general_or_cleanup_changes
>>>

>> I am not disputing the policy.  I feel this change is pointless and is a
>> lot of commits for no real benefit.  They are not fixes.  You're just
>> scrubbing spec files that are not broken.  Who cares?  Update the
>> packaging policy and be done with it.  Leaving this tag there hurts
>> nothing.
>>
>> It's also worth noting that Pagure gives us pull requests for these sort
>> of changes.  While a proven packager can drive a monster truck through
>> the package repositories unchecked, the nice thing to do in the
>> community is to bring the issue to the attention of the package
>> maintainer and let them handle it.  Pagure lets you send pull requests
>> for this (you can even automate it) and then leave it with the package
>> maintainer to take or ignore on their own.
>>
>> Just because we have removed something like the BuildRoot tag from the
>> packaging policy does not automatically invalidate every existing spec
>> file.
>
> I can't believe what I'm seeing here.
>
> That old unused cruft hurts because old like Igor said, new people will
> copy it over to new specs thinking this is some magic necessary
> incantation (which is once was but no longer is). And no doubt some old
> timers might not be aware that it's no longer needed and/or still add it
> just out of habit, spreading the disease.

Does it actually hurt or is it just unnecessary?  Removing unnecessary
things from spec files is fine with me, but I was not seeing this as
actually breaking things at the moment.  If BuildRoot lines have been in
spec files for 10+ years and we are still building fine, is this really
urgent or is it a nice to have?

> At the same time people love to complain how much stupid boilerplate
> stuff there is in every spec. Well hello, BuildRoot was made unnecessary
> in rpm almost ten years ago, the packaging policy for Fedora already
> updated accordingly many years ago, the last EL version requiring it
> finally EOL'ed. And yet people have the nerve to complain when somebody
> voluntarily cleans up this useless cryptic crap from their spec files!

Not trying to speak for others here, but I have seen posts where package
maintainers are annoyed by proven packager commits that touch a lot of
packages.  If we want the old timers to stop using unnecessary
boilerplate, we should loop them in to that change.  A pull request does
exactly that.  I get pull requests for spec cleanups from time to time
and I appreciate it.  The comment from the author usually explains why
and sometimes even points to the current policy.  This is great because
otherwise I am not going to go and reread the policy for packages I have
already created and currently maintain.

Maybe we could also do re-reviews for packages that have existed for a
long time and make sure they comply with current packaging policies?
Another way to loop in the maintainers.

Thanks,

--
David Cantrell <dcantrell@xxxxxxxxxx>