Re: Escaping macros in %changelog

On Tue, Feb 13, 2018 at 3:24 PM, Matthew Miller
<mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 13, 2018 at 12:07:27PM -0800, Adam Williamson wrote:
>> > The dist-git changelogs are mostly noise and I would prefer better
>> > organized information about impacts to users and developers.  Like tell
>> > me what things changed in the new glibc package, not that the glibc RPM
>> > has been upgraded to the new release.  I can figure out that part myself.
>> As an alternative perspective on this, I am *constantly* frustrated by
>> the lack of detail in SCM commit messages, and would much prefer far
>> more of it. I frequently find myself wanting to know exactly why
>> someone did something seven years ago, and find it entirely impossible
>> to answer the question from the information available.
>
> I think this is made worse by having three different changelogs in
> three different places (spec file, git, bodhi).

Or 4 if you include bugzilla, where a lot of discussion actually takes place.

Or 5 if you include upstream.

Or 6 if you include devel list posts talking about a general change
that is then done across packages but doesn't reference the original
thread anywhere in git, bugzilla, changelog, or bodhi.

The point is, we have LOTS of places where change information or
discussion occurs.  We should try and have a canonical location for
the *descriptive summary* of these changes/discussions.  I don't think
%changelog lends itself to that.  The git commit log is likely the
best place, but we have nothing to enforce good usage of it.

josh