Re: Fwd: Re: Fedora27: NFS v4 terrible write performance, is async working

On Tue, Jan 30, 2018 at 01:52:49PM -0600, Jeremy Linton wrote:
> Have you tried this with a '-o nfsvers=3' during mount? Did that help?
>
> I noticed a large decrease in my kernel build times across NFS/lan a while
> back after a machine/kernel/10g upgrade. After playing with mount/export
> options filesystem tuning/etc, I got to this point of timing a bunch of
> these operations vs the older machine, at which point I discovered that
> simply backing down to NFSv3 solved the problem.
>
> AKA a nfsv3 server on a 10 year old 4 disk xfs RAID5 on 1Gb ethernet, was
> slower than a modern machine with a 8 disk xfs RAID5 on 10Gb on nfsv4. The
> effect was enough to change a kernel build from ~45 minutes down to less
> than 5.

Did you mean "faster than"?

Definitely worth trying, though I wouldn't expect it to make that big a
difference in the untarring-a-kernel-tree case--I think the only RPC
avoided in the v3 case would be the CLOSE, and it should be one of the
faster ones.

In the kernel compile case there's probably also a lot of re-opening and
re-reading files too?  NFSv4 is chattier there too.  Read delegations
should help compensate, but we need to improve the heuristics that
decide when they're given out.

All that aside I can't think what would explain that big a difference
(45 minutes vs. 5).  It might be interesting to figure out what
happened.

--b.