Re: Fwd: Re: Fedora27: NFS v4 terrible write performance, is async working

On Tue, Jan 30, 2018 at 03:29:41PM +0000, Terry Barnaby wrote:
> On 30/01/18 15:09, J. Bruce Fields wrote:
> > By comparison on my little home server (Fedora, ext4, a couple WD Black
> > 1TB drives), with sync, that untar takes is 7:44, about 8ms/file.
> Ok, that is far more reasonable, so something is up on my systems :)
> What speed do you get with the server export set to async ?

I tried just now and got 4m2s.

The drives probably still have to do a seek or two per create, the
difference now is that we don't have to wait for one create to start the
next one, so the drives can work in parallel.

So given that I'm striping across two drives, I *think* it makes sense
that I'm getting about double the performance with the async export
option.

But that doesn't explain the difference between async and local
performance (22s when I tried the same untar directly on the server, 25s
when I included a final sync in the timing).  And your numbers are a
complete mystery.

--b.