Re: F28 Self Contained Change: Avoid /usr/bin/python in RPM build

On 10.1.2018 00:56, Kevin Kofler wrote:
Jan Kurik wrote:
Currently in Fedora (package names, executable names, etc.), python
means Python 2.
We would like to change it to mean Python 3, but to do that, we need
to free it of the current meaning.
This means explicitly using either "python2" or "python3" throughout
Fedora.

Are you sure that this is worth the pain? Unsuffixed qmake is still the Qt 3
QMake (not even Qt 4), unsuffixed kde-config is still the KDE 3 kde-config
(not even KDE 4), etc., for backwards compatibility. I think changing the
meaning of "python" is unhelpful and counterproductive. Sure, without this
change, more and more users will eventually end up with not having an
unsuffixed "python" installed at all, but IMHO that's better than silently
changing its meaning.

Whether we change it or get rid of it is not yet set in stone. However, Python 2 will be gone one day. And that day, everything will break if we don't start breaking it now by little chunks.

--
Miro Hrončok