Re: Security updates and batched pushes

Matthew Miller wrote:
> Also, I think everyone in this discussion on _this_ list who would like
> updates faster should probably be using updates-testing. Or at least
> _looking_ at updates-testing. You can always pull individual updates
> from there on a per-package basis, and doing this helps everyone else.

I want tested updates faster. I don't want untested updates.

I also don't think it would be a productive use of my time to go through all
testing updates every day to see which ones are batched for stable. This is
something that could easily be automated by software (i.e., by having Bodhi
push the updates to a fast track repository), why should I be doing this by
hand?

What I do normally do is read the update notes of every update that I am
about to apply. This is also a reason why I hate the batching, because the
batches are huge and painful to check through. I prefer more frequent
smaller pushes that I can easily read through. But what I can definitely
tell you is that most updates do not contain enough information in the
update notes to really know their impact, so using that as a basis for
applying or not applying some update from updates-testing is not going to
scale either.

By the way, the reason I did not voice these complaints in the thread
initially announcing this change is that I was both too angry and too busy
at that time to come up with a polite reply, and besides, the change was
already implemented when announced anyway.

        Kevin Kofler