Re: excess automated emails from Fedora

Sorry to reply to myself here, but I meant to reply to this part and
forgot:

On 12/05/2017 02:53 PM, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> On 12/05/2017 01:56 AM, Daniel Pocock wrote:
>
>> My observation is that the people who "like" email are simply not aware
>> of the other options.  There is a perception that it is easy and/or the
>> lowest common denominator.  It is very easy for script developers to
>> write a couple of lines of code to generate an email.  Over time email's
>> inefficiency is a huge cost to the Fedora project and any other
>> organization doing things this way.

I'm not sure I agree with this. Dashboards and point in time reporting
provides great information for some cases, but discrete history at each
change is also sometimes the information you want.

>> Think about it like this: somebody goes away for a 6 week extended
>> vacation and they come back to find 1000 automated email messages
>> waiting, I worked in one company where that was the way things were
>> done.  The consequences:
>>
>> - the emails are sorted chronologically, not in priority order, so the
>> user doesn't know which emails to look at first
>>
>> - they don't know which emails have been fixed by somebody else
>>
>> - they don't know which emails somebody else is already investigating
>>
>> - if 50 of those emails relate to a single problem or incident, it is
>> not obvious which email represents the root cause of the problem

Sure. I personally filter emails into a number of buckets. So, when I
came back and had 1000 emails, most of them would already be filtered.
So, I would know I don't need to immediately look at mailing lists or
other things that are lower priority.

>> The person coming back to that inbox might spend 1 day just checking the
>> emails.  Or maybe 2-3 hours each day during the week after their
>> vacation, without really working on them, just trying to work out which
>> issues were still open, which emails are duplicates, prioritizing them, etc.

I get a lot of email, but I don't think I have ever had to spend weeks
going through backlog.

>> Even when people don't go on vacation, they are losing a bit of time
>> every day on such filtering chores.  Add it all up and it is a huge cost
>> to organizations.  As a large organization, Fedora "loses" more time
>> this way than a small organization.
>>
>> In contrast, another company I worked in had a strict policy against
>> emails, things couldn't be released into production unless they worked
>> with the dashboard.  Any developer, sysadmin or manager could look at
>> the dashboard in the morning and quickly see the top 3 issues nobody was
>> working on.

Yeah, but what about:

* You have added another maintainer to a package you maintain. You want
to watch their commits and tell them when you see something they should
change or do better on.

Or

* You want to see the exact series of events that led up to a package
being fixed.

Or

* You want to be notified immediately if some action takes place because
you want to talk to whoever is doing it to change a workflow.

I think there is a place for dashboards and email and irc and mobile
phone alerts and ... it depends some on the thing and some on the person
who is getting it.

kevin