Re: F28 System Wide Change: Reduce Initial Setup Redundancy

On Mon, Dec 04, 2017 at 06:03:42PM -0600, Michael Catanzaro wrote:
> On 12/04/2017 03:11 PM, Chris Murphy wrote:
> >Also, for any kind of early boot troubleshooting even once a user is
> >created, systemd emergency and rescue targets only accept root user
> >login. If root user is disabled, it's impossible to do such early boot
> >troubleshooting. So I think systemd needs a way to accept an admin
> >user (wheel group) as an alternative login rather than only root.
>
> Yes, good point. This is a longstanding problem. Hopefully making
> disabled root the default behavior for Fedora Workstation might
> nudge the systemd developers into fixing it.

This has been under discussion for a while [at least 1,2,3].
We currently only allow root to log in emergency or rescue mode,
following what sysvinit systems did traditionally. We simply call
sulogin, and that's the only thing it allows. I'd like to see this
changed to allow either
a) any user to log in, or
b) only users from a specific group like wheel.
Option b) would possibly be more palatable to some people but would
allow additional support in the login programs and/or pam configuration.
So yeah, it's something that should be fixed, but it's not as trivial
as it would seem at first.

[1] https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=802211#31
[2] https://github.com/systemd/systemd/issues/7115
[3] https://github.com/systemd/systemd/pull/7116