Re: F28 System Wide Change: Reduce Initial Setup Redundancy

On Mon, Dec 4, 2017 at 2:36 PM, R P Herrold <herrold@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> If this is a communication problem, why remove a password,
> just remove the spoke?
>
> Set _some_ DRP password, deterministically to an unguessible
> value, and save that value in a well-named file on the root
> volume

Sounds like a new secret and non-standard way to lock the root
account. Setting the root user's 2nd field in /etc/shadow to ! is a
well understood way of disabling the account.

> # umask 077
> # date +%s > /root-passwd.txt ; ( head -n 1 /root-passwd.txt ; \
>         lvdisplay | grep -i UUID | rev | awk {'print $1'} | rev | \
>         sort | head -n 1 ) | md5sum  >> /root-passwd.txt
>
> ... and set the root password to the value of the last line of
> /root-passwd.txt

Uhh yeah no way. That's like exposing /etc/shadow there except without
a hashed passphrase.

--
Chris Murphy