Re: Proven packagers - stop messing with other people packages!!

On Mon, Dec 04, 2017 at 01:33:09PM +0100, David Kaspar [Dee'Kej] wrote:
> Hello folks,
>
> I do not want to point any fingers, so I'll be adressing this to all proven
> packagers...
>
> Stop messing with other people packages without trying to contact them via
> e-mail/IRC, or openind new BZ!
> Especially when you see they are actively maintaining the package and your
> changes are not critical for Fedora to function/boot.
> THIS IS NOT OKAY, AND YOU ARE ABUSING THE RIGHTS YOU WERE GIVEN!
>
> Fedora proven packagers policy (
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Provenpackager_policy) explicitly says:
> "Provenpackagers should try to communicate with owners of a package in
> bugzilla, irc or email prior to making changes. They should be careful not
> to change other people's packages needlessly and try to do the minimal
> changes required to fix problems, ..."
>
> Last note to proven packagers: You're not BDFLs - so start acting according
> to it. Thank you!

Hi Dee'Kej,

you must be aware that there are hundreds of proven packagers doing hundreds
of changes on hundreds of packages at various points in time.
If you say neither which packages you have in mind, modified when, by whom,
or for what purpose, you're very unlikely to reach the right people.

I suggest that you list in a _calm_ technical manner some specific commits
which you think shouldn't have been done under pp policy and why.
Please note that aside from the part you quoted there are other rules which
allow fairly significant actions to be taken by pps assuming certain
procedures are followed, so it may all have been according to policy.

Zbyszek