Re: Modularity questions for "traditional" RPM packaging

On Fri, Nov 10, 2017 at 8:25 AM, Christopher <ctubbsii@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

The biggest concerns/questions I have about modularity are probably not even the biggest challenges the modularity effort has to overcome. My concerns/questions are really about "what's my role in this?". I'm not involved in the release process, and have almost zero understanding of Fedora compositions, editions, "flavors", "spins", etc. I'm just a lowly maintainer who has one or two packages, and is helping out with a few others, because I use them.

I really don't understand how my role changes with the modularity effort... if at all. It is easy to do as Kevin suggests, and simply ignore these efforts... but I fear that's what too many in my position have done so far, and I'm worried that we're going to have our packages excluded from future Fedora, because we don't understand the new composition/release process, which many of us have probably never had to think about before. I'm worried that the effort to ease releases/composes may make it much harder for regular package maintainers to contribute to Fedora.

That said, I really don't want to be critical of the modularity effort. From what I've read, I think it has a rational basis. At this point, I just want to understand it better, so I know how I can continue to contribute to Fedora for the packages I care about, and how this all will affect me.

+1000 from me.

I maintain or co-maintain probably more than 60 packages and I still don't completely get it. I've read the wiki, I watched the video on arbitrary branching and I *KINDA* get the idea at a HIGH level, but as far as what the workflow will actually look like I'm completely confused.

I also don't care for the new pagure.io repo when dealing with importing new packages. I get an email when the repository and branches are created when the tickets are closed, but I still can't build the package for several hours. I just have to keep trying until it works. Not a good experience.

Thanks,
Richard