Re: Modularity questions for "traditional" RPM packaging

On Fri, Nov 10, 2017 at 8:40 AM, Kalev Lember <kalevlember@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 11/10/2017 02:23 PM, Kevin Kofler wrote:
>> Please just ignore this module nonsense. The more maintainers boycott it,
>> the less likely it is to succeed and produce completely unnecessary extra
>> work for you, me and all the other maintainers.
>
> Kevin, please stop the trolling and belittling others. This is out of line.
>
> How would YOU feel if I kept responding to any messages about KDE with:
> "Please just ignore this KDE nonsense. The more maintainers boycott it,
> the less likely it is to succeed and produce completely unnecessary
> extra work for you, me and all the other maintainers" ?

Kevin aside, the way the modular server was introduced in Fedora 27
was poorly handled.

It should have never been declared as a replacement deliverable for
the classic Fedora Server for the Fedora 27 release. It's very clear
now that was a mistake, as now one third of the deliverables aren't
even going to be released until mid January, probably later. The
necessary tooling to properly do modular composes didn't even go live
until a couple of weeks ago.

If I thought there was a shot to fix this, I'd be proposing that we
*ignore* Modular server for the Fedora 27 release and release the
regular Fedora Server for Fedora 27, and ship the Modular server as
another tech preview post Fedora 27 release. That would give it more
time to bake and deal with the inherent issues with modularity for
Fedora 28.

This was the approach we took with Atomic replacing the Cloud Edition,
and I have no idea why anyone thought it was a good idea to ignore
that process for modularity.