common location of spec files in upstream sources

>From a survey of about 1700 .spec files in my current working
collection, the overwhelmingly common place to ** install **
such is in a:
	%doc
directory

Most simply place them in the top directory, at a depth even
with where a V[ersioned] tarball is unpacked by the %setup
stanza.  Then
	rpmbuild -ta (package-V).tgz

can un-gzip and find it there and will build to order in
chained automation.  I see in my local archive:
	bzr/kicad/RCS/README,v:rpmbuild -ta ${PROJECT}-${YMD}.tar.gz && {

which does this.  The R[elease] value gets tacked on during
the build process

This is most sensible (I have much automation for
automatic VCS CO, .spec file, and then tarballgenerators,
which substitute in various variable substitutions).  See,
eg.,
	ftp://ftp.owlriver.com/pub/mirror/ORC/dl/README

of which I was tracking VCS dalies and testing, before it
moved into Fedora

Others use this approaches similar to this as well -- I see
several
	'%{_package}.spec.in'
files by others to that effect as well.  See, eg.,
krb5-auth-dialog and GeoIP

-- Russ herrold