Re: common location of spec files in upstream sources

>     For upstream projects that provide spec files in their
>     repositories, do y'all tend to see a common location for the spec
>     files? Like dist/<name>.spec or rpm/<name>.spec, etc. My
>     organization is trying to standardize on a location for the
>     software we maintain, and it would be better to use something that
>     many in the open source community also use.

Here are some ideas. The following projects are either strongly related
to Fedora or widely used in the project. These are just some projects I
had cloned in my personal PC for some reason, so, randomly picked:

- koji, copr-cli, FedoraReview, python-bugzilla ship spec files in the project root directory
- pagure and mote ship spec files under the 'files/' directory
- mock ships it as 'mock/mock.spec'
- ansible ships it as 'packaging/rpm/ansible.spec'
- gofed ships it as 'hacking/gofed.spec'
- RPM does not ship a .spec file in the rpm repository (maybe somewhere
  else?)

As mentioned here, Debian ships it under the debian directory in the
root dir because that's how their tooling searches for packaging data.
As pointed above, it seems that there are no default paths to ship the
spec file. Just let packagers know it exists. When packaging for
different distros, chances are the spec file will need changes anyway.

--
Athos Ribeiro

http://www.ime.usp.br/~athoscr