Re: Why is Fx 57 in Updates Testing?

> On Fri, 2017-10-13 at 14:26 +0000, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek wrote:

> > > My understanding is that the new API lacks capabilities needed to
> > > make some extensions possible.  Mozilla may or may not
> > > reimplement
> > > some of these functionalities in the future, but, for the time
> > > being, there’s little that the authors of such extensions can do.
> >
> > Sure, that's what everybody knows. But without going from
> > generalities
> > to details of a specific extension, we're just speculating idly.
>
> Someone's given one example already, here's another:
>
> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/calomel-ssl-validation
> /
>
> "IMPORTANT: Development of the Calomel SSL Validation addon has been
> put on hold. Mozilla is disabling XUL and XPCOM in Firefox which
> means
> the addon is no longer able to query the current browser tab for the
> TLS certificate and cipher information."
>
> Sure, you can just manually inspect the details of any given site's
> certificate and TLS config, but Calomel's icon and grading system
> made
> it much easier to notice when some important site had a bad config.
> :/

Adam not replying just to you but the general thread.
What is the point of bringing up all these plugins breakage ? If
Mozilla doesn't care, at most you are going to defer the inevitable by
what? 2/3 weeks ? You can do the same by deferring your upgrade to
Fedora 27 on your own ... or manually downloading the ESR from Mozilla
and running that one.

We are Fedora and we are First, even when it is painful IMHO.
The only case when it is appropriate to discuss slowing down a project
is if there are known security/privacy/whatever vulnerabilities that
are going to be addressed very soon upstream anyway.

If the *direction* of the project is under discussion then the only
appropriate way is to let the project go and search for a replacement
for the default.

In light of this I think any suggestion of slowing down adoption of the
new version in F27 is misplaced.

Simo.

--
Simo Sorce