Re: Why is Fx 57 in Updates Testing?

Am 11.10.2017 um 21:08 schrieb Martin Stransky:
> I believed that the update-testing repository is intended for testing and it's
> used by power users who can handle that, exclude the package from testing if
> needed, downgrade broken package and so on.
>
> I'm surprised that people use updates-testing for stable/production machines,
> have problem with handling the update and act like newbies. If you can't
> handle that, don't use that. Fedora is really a bleeding edge so don't
> complain you get new software with new features - even as testing only :)
>
> Also, I think your expectation about dramatic change of new extension
> availability for FF57 last month before the final release is false.

"dramatic change" seems a bit ... dramatic ;-)
However I know at least one somewhat popular addon (NoScript) which is planned
to have a release just before the Firefox 27 release
(https://noscript.net/getit#devel). So the push to F26 updates-testing really
hurts some users more than necessary.

Other than that I think Fedora maintainers worked hard to get away from the
perception of "unstable/bleeding edge distro" to a more "provides new software
but still reliable".

I think this is not about "having updates-testing enabled and not being able
to handle breakage" - in the end all the complaints came from users who can
"handle" the breakage. I'd like to echo other's concerns that I treat
"updates-testing" very similar to "updates" just with the additional caveat
that it might be a tad bit less tested.

Please let's keep it that way.

fs