Giving us the ability to go backwards [was Re: plan to update F27 to systemd-235]

On Sat, Oct 07, 2017 at 10:33:38AM -0400, Colin Walters wrote:
> I'm personally very in favor of this; of course my usual refrain
> here is that we should *try* new things and have the ability
> to back them out if they don't work (the latter bit is what the
> current system doesn't support).

You know, we could easily _start_ supporting the thing you want if we
switched from "Epoch is a horrible confusing hack that should never get
used" to "We increment Epoch every time instead of Release (and don't
reset back to 1 on new versions)".

We could even define Release to %{epoch} and remove it from spec files,
giving a user-visible indicator, even if that's not what the tools sort
on. Or, I guess, we could to the other way around and define Epoch to
equal release.

We could also change the tools to increment with every build rather
than manually — then, things like git-revert-and-build- would work. The
ability to revert to previously-existing binaries *without* rebuilding
would take more invasive tooling changes, of course.

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>