Re: Kernel 4.13 rebase plans

On Fri, Sep 22, 2017 at 1:06 PM, Stephen John Smoogen <smooge@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 22 September 2017 at 12:43,  <mcatanzaro@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> But if Negativo users start complaining that their computers don't boot
>> anymore, then we'll definitely need to stop doing major kernel updates
>> ("taking the entire distro hostage" I guess) as the Negativo support is
>> important for product strategy. Hopefully it doesn't come to that.
>>

> Please don't try that. No one wins from fights like that.
>
> Anything further I could write on this is hard because I am so tired
> of this yearly self-inflicted headache.

I, too, am tired of this sort of thing, but I feel that someone needs
to say something here so...

Something seems wrong about basing "product strategy" for Fedora on
compatibility with a single third party repository. This is *not* how
the third party repository policy was sold; the goal was supposedly to
curate useful repositories for given Fedora editions, not to make them
the center of our "strategy". In fact I was concerned at the time that
more central oversight of third party repositories was needed rather
than leaving it up to the individual working groups, but I was
reassured that it wasn't because they were just sort of optional
extras.

If we block changes to the entire distro because we are concerned
about breaking a specific third party repository, then effectively,
it's *not* a third party repository. It's as much a part of Fedora as
any other component, except for a thin pretense that we are not
distributing this nonfree software directly.

In which case, I would be prepared to argue again that it should be
FESCo that curates the list of such repositories, not the working
groups.

I use nvidia drivers on my system and I'm all for acknowledging that
in the "real world" people use nonfree software, but I find myself
somewhat concerned at the apparent change of culture and direction
here. All the more so because of the apparent attempt to brush this
potential concern under the rug with the "taking the distro hostage"
comment, which I think is an overly excitable way to phrase a
legitimate concern.

Ben Rosser