Re: [modularity] Modularizing the world fast and iteratively

Jan Pazdziora wrote:
> But you get upgraded even now. Firefox gets major-version upgrades
> even within the life of the Fedora version, as do other packages.

Firefox gets upgraded for security reasons. Sticking to an old version is a
very bad idea.

Other packages get upgraded because it is considered safe to upgrade them
for all users, otherwise they do not get upgraded within a release. That is
the point of having Fedora releases. Even with Modularity, I do not expect
maintainers to keep supporting an old upstream branch when the new one is a
safe drop-in replacement. They will just upgrade the package within the same
module branch, just as they do in the distro branch now.

The problem starts when a module branch is arbitrarily discontinued for a
newer one that is NOT a safe drop-in replacement. That is what coordinated
distro release EOL dates are intended to protect users against. (Note that
it is in general the maintainer's duty to backport fixes as needed!)
"Lifecycle separation" irremediably breaks that, and is thus broken by
design.

        Kevin Kofler