Re: [modularity] Modularizing the world fast and iteratively

Pavel Raiskup wrote:
> Ok, I agree that Fedora needs modules for life-cycle separation.

I don't. I consider what you call "life-cycle separation" (I'd rather call
it "inconsistent EOLs") a bug rather than a feature.

This is yet another of those "features" that sound great on paper, but lead
to a horrible user experience in practice. Right now, it is easy to know
when you have to upgrade, as there is one EOL for the entire distro. With
inconsistent per-module EOLs, as soon as you have a non-trivial amount of
modules installed, it is impossible to track down when you need to upgrade
what. So either you end up with an unsupported version of the module without
even noticing, or you get forcefully upgraded at what will often be the
worst possible time.

        Kevin Kofler