Re: A less "bloated" KDE spin

On Sat, Sep 09, 2017 at 08:47:22AM -0700, Gerald B. Cox wrote:
> I believe you are missing the point of defaults.... which is to provide as
> complete environment as possible out of the box.  Since this is a KDE spin,
> we should be providing as complete of a KDE environment as possible.
> Users shouldn't be required to go on a treasure hunt to seek out available
> KDE applications.  If you don't want to use a KDE default you can easily
> either go into settings and change the defaults, remove the package you
> don't want, etc.

I don't have a particular side in this debate, but I do feel it
important to point out that making sure all of these different
applications function properly at release time is a big QA workload. If
having these applications all available in the default install is
important to you, please see and help out with
https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/kde@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/message/NG22T4KMZZSRAQNPBRISKSEW5GZ4XCJS/

Although we're having problems with UEFI booting, recent F27 nightly
composes (see
https://kojipkgs.fedoraproject.org/compose/branched/latest-Fedora-27/compose/Spins/x86_64/iso/)
should boot and work on BIOS, and running through the validation tests
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA:Release_validation_test_plan
would be a *huge* help in making sure F27 KDE Plasma Desktop is a solid
release.

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>