Re: A less "bloated" KDE spin

On Sat, Sep 9, 2017 at 8:28 AM, jack smith <paviluf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Would you like to consider to provide a less "bloated" KDE spin ? Here is the softs I suggest to remove to have a much cleaner base experience :
>
> kolourpaint kruler qupzilla ktorrent krusader kgpg krfb kmines kpat kmahjongg krdc konversation konqueror akregator kamoso dragon ksshaskpass knode kmouth kmousetool dnfdragora k3b jovie kmail kaddressbook korganizer telepathy* ktp* kmag kfind knetattach
>
> Like every softs, if someone need one that is not in the base install, he simply can install it.

No..?

Taking most of those out would make our experience significantly worse
than the GNOME spin (a.k.a Fedora Workstation).

Not being able to manage GPG (KGPG) , SSH (ksshaskpass), and email
(KMail) would be pretty painful for most people. KAddressBook and
KOrganizer are perfectly fine to keep, too, as they are useful things.

I could see us not including Konqueror, as Qupzilla/KDE Falkon is the
new upcoming KDE browser.

As most of us actually do heavily use IRC, it'd be a shame if we lost
Konversation on the default install.

Akregator probably could be cut as RSS feeds have become considerably
less popular and accessible in recent years.

KNode could probably be removed from the default installs, as
Usenet/NNTP has become a lot less common.

Jovie, KMouth, KMouseTool, and KMag are handy things for accessibility.

Dragon is a perfectly nice video player.

Kamaso is our equivalent to Cheese on GNOME, and there's no reason to cut it.

KFind for finding files on the system is kinda important, in my view.
KNetAttach for accessing network shares, too.

The telepathy stack (telepathy* / ktp*) might be less handy, but I
know people who do swear by it.

Kolourpaint and and KRuler and handy little things. And KRFB enables
remote desktop capabilities, which there are plenty of people who
want. KRDC lets people connect to remote systems, which is equally
desired.