Re: Confusing SCM package request

On Wed, 2017-09-06 at 13:14 -0400, Josh Boyer wrote:
> Taking your follow up of "folks doing the SCM requests" into account,
> I don't think that's what they signed up for?  That's the job of a
> sponsor.
>
> However, you're just making cases for the easy to catch things and
> didn't address my point of 0 after-the-fact, on-going reviews taking
> place.  If we are SO concerned with this up front, why are we
> completely unconcerned with it once a package is in?

I wouldn't say we are, I'd just say we haven't figured out a good
process for it yet. But it's not fair to say 'completely unconcerned';
for instance, a while ago someone ran a script checking for Flash
executables in packages and filed a bug on every package that contained
one which wasn't built from source. When major guideline changes
happen, there's sometimes a process to bring existing packages into
line (e.g. the ongoing effort to rename Python binary packages). It
*does* happen. We don't have a great, comprehensive process, but
'completely unconcerned' is an overreach.

I'd also suggest that the two situations aren't really equivalent.
There's a higher chance of something being legally unsuitable for
Fedora *at the time it goes in* than it suddenly *becoming* legally
unsuitable later, with no-one noticing. The chance of the latter isn't
zero, but I'd say it's lower.

I mean, if I slightly unfairly reduce it aggressively, your argument
seems to be "we're bad at doing stuff at point Y, so why not stop doing
it at point X too?" That seems an...odd way to 'solve' the problem.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey