Re: Splitting AppStream data into Workstation/Server

On Tue, 2017-09-05 at 08:37 +0200, Vít Ondruch wrote:

> Dne 5.9.2017 v 08:31 Nicolas Chauvet napsal(a):
> > >
> > > 100% agree. This does take some time currently (as we have to
> > > decompress some files from the lzma archives) but this is
> > > currently
> > > done using my AMD Athlon Neo Microserver with spinning rust
> > > drives.
> > > Using something XEONy and SSDy it'd be orders of magnitude
> > > faster. Are
> > > we sure that we're using createrepo_c for composes? I know we
> > > *used*
> > > to be the old python one for some reason.
> >
> > As I understand, the problem with the decompression is that it
> > fetches
> > the payload.
> > And if a rpm weight 100MB, it will downloads (RPMs are often stored
> > on
> > nfs, so network is involved) and decompress the whole 100MB
> > (including
> > the header, although this last might be uncompressed).
> > On the opposite, storing information on the RPM header means
> > grabbing
> > only the first KB out of the whole RPM.
> >
> > As one can see, this might work for few RPMs, but this doesn't
> > scale
> > at all on a big whole repository with many arches, specially if the
> > work from a previous appdata-builder run cannot be cached for a
> > later
> > updates.
> >
> > So I wonder if it would be possible to have a "second payload" with
> > only the appdata (xml, imgs) that it would be possible to fetch
> > along
> > the header without having to get the rest of the RPM ?
> > On the second tough, with the effort needed to extract this
> > information out of the rpm, is it really worth to store them there
> > in
> > the first step ? Over storing an URL (for xml and/or imgs) in the
> > RPM
> > header ?
> >
> > Thx for correcting me where I'm wrong.
> >

> Just another idea reading this ... could we move the AppStream data
> into
> subpackage?
It is possible and probably even possible to add something like
Provides: metainfo-handler() in appstream consumers (e.g. gnome-
software) and automatically generate Recommends: (foo-metainfo if
metainfo-handler()).. But I'm not sure if
* it's worth it
* we can add such things with current RPM (because it involves lookup
of subpackage which IIRC is possible only to do in RPM code itself now)

And as usual, before trying to do something "new" we should really look
how our friends are solving such issues (e.g. openSUSE). Unfortunately
we do a lot of things without doing so and then end up in bad
situations.

> Vít

- --
- -Igor Gnatenko