Re: AppStream and COPR (was: Splitting AppStream data into Workstation/Server)

On Fri, Sep 1, 2017 at 9:12 AM, Marius Vollmer
<marius.vollmer@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Neal Gompa <ngompa13@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
>> [...] It's already kind of second-class in Fedora because it's not
>> properly integrated into our repodata (like it's supposed to be, and
>> how it is in openSUSE, Mageia, and even in COPR).
>>
>> We should be making AppStream data support first-class, not
>> third-class. :(
>
> This is interesting.  Can you point me to more information about
> AppStream and COPR?

There's no real documentation on this, as far as I know, but the COPR
developers know more about it (they're CC'd to this email).

> I have a COPR with some AppStream metainfo files in it, and I noticed
> that suddenly I had this file:
>
>      /var/cache/app-info/xmls/mvo-cockpit-app-freeipa.xml.gz
>
> I have since deleted it and it doesn't seem to come back.  If memory
> serves, I think it was referenced from repodata/repomd.xml back then,
> but not anymore.
>
> Anyway, now there is appdata/appstream.xml.gz in the repo:
>
>     https://copr-be.cloud.fedoraproject.org/results/mvo/cockpit-app-freeipa/fedora-26-x86_64/appdata/
>
> Is dnf supposed to download this automatically? Some other program?
> Should the consumer (such as GNOME Software and Cockpit) download it
> explicitly?

All PackageKit based software managers automatically download the
data, as the Dnf PK backend does this:
https://github.com/hughsie/PackageKit/blob/master/backends/dnf/pk-backend-dnf.c#L553

DNF currently ignores it, though it can be made to handle it.

As an aside, libzypp/Zypper (F26+) does download and handle AppStream
data, when available.

> Also, addons don't work in COPRs: https://pagure.io/copr/copr/issue/128
>
> Also also, what will you do with icons?  Do they all have to be
> type="remote"? Will you automatically convert type="local" icons to
> type="remote" icons?

COPR runs createrepo_c, then appstream-builder, then modifyrepo_c to
create the rpm-md repodata, generate the appstream repodata, and
append the appstream repodata to the rpm-md repodata.

You can see the appstream bundle in the repodata folder:
https://copr-be.cloud.fedoraproject.org/results/mvo/cockpit-app-freeipa/fedora-26-x86_64/repodata/669caf74c17cec488cc84ee5eadf4f4f02c7b34a84fd4664b4148c1422e4186d-appstream.xml.gz

And it's referenced in the repomd.xml file:
https://copr-be.cloud.fedoraproject.org/results/mvo/cockpit-app-freeipa/fedora-26-x86_64/repodata/repomd.xml

Behaviors related for icon type is appstream-builder handling.