Re: Splitting AppStream data into Workstation/Server

On Fri, Sep 1, 2017 at 6:37 AM, Marius Vollmer
<marius.vollmer@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I hope that soon the first Cockpit add-on appears in the Fedora
> repositories.  Cockpit can find such add-ons via their AppStream
> metainfo data, similar to how GNOME Software finds applications to
> install for a desktop environment.
>
> Thus, we would need to install the appstream-data package also on a
> Server.
>
> This is a good enough first step, I guess, but appstream-data is quite
> big and mostly useless on a Server.  We don't need to know about all the
> desktop applications and their icons.
>

> So, what about creating a dedicated appstream-data-server package that
> carries only those components that we want to see on a Server?
>
> Initially, it would contain only components of type "addon" that extend
> "cockpit.desktop", and components of type "service".

Please don't do this. This makes AppStream data handling even more
complicated than it already is. It's already kind of second-class in
Fedora because it's not properly integrated into our repodata (like
it's supposed to be, and how it is in openSUSE, Mageia, and even in
COPR).

We should be making AppStream data support first-class, not third-class. :(