AppStream and COPR (was: Splitting AppStream data into Workstation/Server)

Neal Gompa <ngompa13@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> [...] It's already kind of second-class in Fedora because it's not
> properly integrated into our repodata (like it's supposed to be, and
> how it is in openSUSE, Mageia, and even in COPR).
>
> We should be making AppStream data support first-class, not
> third-class. :(

This is interesting.  Can you point me to more information about
AppStream and COPR?

I have a COPR with some AppStream metainfo files in it, and I noticed
that suddenly I had this file:

     /var/cache/app-info/xmls/mvo-cockpit-app-freeipa.xml.gz

I have since deleted it and it doesn't seem to come back.  If memory
serves, I think it was referenced from repodata/repomd.xml back then,
but not anymore.

Anyway, now there is appdata/appstream.xml.gz in the repo:

    https://copr-be.cloud.fedoraproject.org/results/mvo/cockpit-app-freeipa/fedora-26-x86_64/appdata/

Is dnf supposed to download this automatically? Some other program?
Should the consumer (such as GNOME Software and Cockpit) download it
explicitly?

Also, addons don't work in COPRs: https://pagure.io/copr/copr/issue/128

Also also, what will you do with icons?  Do they all have to be
type="remote"? Will you automatically convert type="local" icons to
type="remote" icons?

Thanks!