SciDAVis and liborigin3 vs liborigin & liborigin2 - bundle or obsolete?

Hello,

Since its retirement from Fedora, SciDAVis[0] has undergone
significant development and I think it is ready to be re-included in
our package collection. After a few months of private builds that I
distributed among co-workers and friends, I set up a copr[1] and I've
been keeping up with the upstream project.

SciDAVis comes with a bundled copy of liborigin[2], which the upstream
developers helped me unbundle. Its version has been bumped to 3.0.0
internally, although there hasn't been a 3.0.0 release yet. In Fedora
we carry liborigin2 (code from the latest public release) and
liborigin (snapshot from 2008) which both help import different
versions of Origin project files. The new release will render them
both obsolete.

SciDAVis and liborigin share a number of contributors, but at the
moment their codebases have diverged; upstream liborigin trunk has
been adjusted to work with development versions of LabPlot 2.x, while
the copy bundled with SciDAVis is closer to that of a future
liborigin-3.0.0 release, but they are not interchangeable. I asked the
developers to clarify their plans and I was told[3] that the two
versions will merge back, though some API changes might come in the
meantime.

I have checked if there are any packages at the moment that require
liborigin* or liborigin*-devel and I have found none (though I'd be
grateful if someone who feels more at ease with dnf could
double-check). If not for this divergence, I would submit scidavis and
liborigin3 for review as separate packages, with Provides & Obsoletes
for the previous liborigin* and liborigin*-devel versions and be done
with it. However I would have to use the unbundled copy from SciDAVis
as source for liborigin3. Should I proceed with that anyway or should
I keep it bundled until such time as the two codebases have merged?

Best regards
Alex

0. https://sourceforge.net/projects/scidavis/
1. https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/coprs/alexpl/scidavis/