Re: removable setup rpm?!

On 18.8.2017 17:24, Michael Schwendt wrote:

>> rpm is low level tool.  No, I am talking just about use of dnf which is high level tool for working
>> with packages/modules.
>
> *ouch*  Covering such a corner-case is of limited use, IMO.
> What other package tools would benefit from such a protection?

It's corner case, but user is user. We could say same thing about udev, systemd, dnf...
Why these are protected? Who would want to remove it from the system, when they know
such operation will break system significantly? The protection has some purpose and
for me is not relevant, how much is possible, that someone would do that improbably
action. I saw many situations that were *impossible*, but user can do everything. So
the elementary set of packages should be protected.

> If, on the contrary, dnf decided to remove such packages during a normal
> updates while running into depsolving troubles, _that_ would be interesting
> to fix (because removing a package without replacing it would be a big bug).

Petr Stodulka
Core Services (In-place upgrades and migrations)
IRC nicks: pstodulk, skytak
Red Hat