Re: heads up: poppler soname bump

On Sat, 2017-08-05 at 11:32 -0400, Neal Gompa wrote:

> This is garbage. How the heck are we supposed to do crap like this
> when Koji itself isn't built to support this kind of thing freely?

It's really not that difficult. You do a scratch build or build in
mock, then test building the dependencies in mock. Or you request a
Koji tag, or use COPR. Could tooling make it easier? Sure. Is the fact
that we don't have super nice tooling an excuse for breaking Rawhide?
No.

> We don't have a concept of projects in Koji where people can do these
> things without affecting the Rawhide package set,

Sure we do, it's called tags.

>  and COPR has no
> dependency tracking to indicate what depends on it in other
> repositories/linked projects,

How is this at all relevant to the purpose of using it to test
dependent rebuilds for something like a soname bump?

> We keep pushing for this stuff, but we're not even bothering to make
> it easier for packagers to keep up. What about the poor souls who
> aren't proven packagers? They're out of luck and they get blamed for
> "breaking Rawhide".

I'm not at all interested in blaming anyone for anything. I'm
interested in Rawhide not being broken. Note that you don't need commit
rights to do a scratch build, mock build or COPR build of something.
Note that I suggested the person doing the poppler build should have
*tested* that texlive built against it, which is something they do not
need any texlive commit rights to do.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey