Re: Finalizing Fedora's Switch to Python 3

On Tue, Aug 01, 2017 at 11:29:30AM -0500, Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:

> MH> I just had a discussion with Tomáš Orsava and Petr Viktorin on
> MH> #fedora-python. Rather than asking FESCo now to allow mass
> MH> fully-automated spec changing, we'll open bugs as planned, but we'll
> MH> attach patches generated by your script to them.
>
> It's not really required that you get an ACK from FESCo for automated
> spec changes as long as you have a clear plan, people on hand to fix any
> breakage, and let the devel list know about the changes you're making.
> The packaging guidelines are pretty clear about maintainers needing to
> be prepared for automated changes to their specs.  But of course you can
> run it by either FESCo or the packaging committee if you really want to
> cover your bases.
>
> The relevant guideline section is
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Guidelines#Spec_Maintenance_and_Canonicity
>
> Of course, if you wait just a bit you'll be able to submit pull
> requests to pagure, but that could get kind of messy.
>
> To be honest, though, just fixing things for people where you can tell
> those fixes are clean and easy is far preferable to opening bugs.  In
> fact, it's specifically encouraged.  In any case, before you get to that
> please do follow the policy for pass package changes:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mass_package_changes

Thank you! That was my feeling too, but I was missing the formal text
to back it up. I think the best way would indeed be to follow the
"Mass package changes" procedure, in the "automated cleanup" flavour, but
also file a FESCo ticket to "cover all bases". I don't think it's necessary
to file an FPC ticket because in a sense FPC has already spoken:
proposed change is to make the packages follow current guidelines,
so I don't think FPC could be reasonably opposed.

~580 can be done automatically with the current version of the script.
~60 packages already have a subpackage with a bad name. It is possible
that those could be done automatically too.
That leaves maybe 150 packages that would require further manual
changes, and for those it might make sense to file bugs. Further research
would be needed which packages are left to convert.

Zbyszek